Protecting this information is one of our highest priorities and as such we have instituted policies and procedures and use vigorous security safeguards to protect your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information. The protection of your personal information is an integral part of our service commitment to you.
Why do we collect, use, and disclose personal information about you?
We collect, use and disclose personal information (including to and from our affiliates and / or subsidiaries, referring organizations and / or third party providers / suppliers) for the following purposes.
- Establish your identity
- Understand and assess your needs and eligibility for products and services
- Analyze, assess, underwrite and reinsure risk
- Facilitate payment of your premiums through credit card or through bank, payroll, or pension deductions
- Investigate and settle claims
- Protect you and us from error, fraud, and illegal activity
- Communicate with you
- Ensure quality assurance
- Establish and maintain responsible commercial relations with you
- Develop, enhance, market, or provide products and services
- Analyze business results and to report to appropriate regulatory or industry entities
- Compile statistics, conduct market research in accordance with prudent practices
- Comply with the law or requests of law enforcement officers or regulators
- Provide ongoing service
- Survey your customer and claims experiences and satisfaction; and
- Your personal information may be collected, used or disclosed for other purposes with your consent or as permitted or required by law
What personal information do we collect?
We obtain most of your personal information directly from you. However, we may need to collect information from other sources. We will only collect information pertinent to the appropriate purpose. The personal information we collect includes.
- Name, address, telephone numbers, fax numbers, or e-mail address
- Birth date, gender, marital status
- Medical and health information
- Employment information
- Banking information and or credit card information
- Other information we may collect with your consent or as permitted or required by law
How do we collect your information?
We may collect information from the following sources.
- You, or any person authorized by you, on applications for insurance or service products, or other forms filled out in person or through telephone, email, or online
- Government, industry and other entities authorized by law that have information on your claims history or pertinent to an application for insurance
- Consumer reporting agencies
- Your continued interaction with us
With whom do we share information about you?
We may share information with the following.
- Any person authorized by you
- Any person required or permitted by law to have access to your personal information
- Any person as is necessary to meet our legal, regulatory, insurance, audit, processing and security requirements or to protect our reasonable business interests
- Other insurers, agents or brokers, as necessary
When we share personal information with third parties, we provide only that information that is required in the circumstances and we take reasonable contractual or other measures to protect your personal information.
How may you give your consent?
There are many ways you can give consent. Consent can be express, for example, in writing on a form you may sign describing the intended uses and disclosure of personal information, verbally, or through electronic means. Alternatively, where permitted by law, your consent may be implied through an action you’ve taken or when you continue to use a product or service after we’ve notified you of a change with respect to your personal information and you have not withdrawn your consent, such as by using an “opt out” option provided, if any. You may indicate your consent by the following.
- Providing your personal information to us for the purposes of acquiring an insurance related product or service, including information previously provided to us
- Your express consent or acknowledgement contained, for example, within a written, verbal, or electronic application process
- Your express consent solicited by us for a specific purpose
- Your consent given through your authorized representative such as your legal guardian, agent, or holder of power of attorney
We maintain your consent for electronic messages (e.g. email and text messages) in compliance with the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation.
May you withdraw your consent for us to collect, use and disclose your information?
We may contact you on behalf of us or our affiliates to offer other insurance products and services through direct mail, telephone, or other means. If you would rather not receive such information, please use the contact information below to let us know.
How long will we retain your personal information?
We will retain your personal information only as long as necessary to satisfy legal or business obligations, including reasonable business record-keeping obligations. The length of time we keep your information depends on the product or service and the nature of the personal information. We have retention standards that meet customer service, legal, and regulatory needs. When the information is no longer required, we securely destroy it or convert it to an anonymous form.
How do we keep your personal information accurate and secure?
We take reasonable steps to ensure the information in our records is correct and up to date, however we rely on you to tell us when your personal information changes.
As part of our effort to keep your personal information secure, we limit access to your personal information and store it securely using a variety of physical, technological, and organizational safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. Depending on the nature of the information, it may be stored in the branch you deal with, in various secure computer systems, or in archives in various locations across Canada.
Authorized employees, agents and mandataries who require access to your personal information in order to fulfil their job requirements will have access to your personal information.
Do you have the right to request access to your personal information?
Yes, you have the right to request access or correction of your personal information that we have in our possession or control. You also have the right to know which third parties have received your information from us.
To request access or correction of your personal information, please make your request in writing , being as specific as possible as to which personal information you are requesting. We will advise you if for some reason we cannot respond right away. We may charge you a reasonable fee for providing access to your personal information, but only after first advising you of the approximate cost.
In providing you with a list of the organizations to which we have disclosed any of your information, we will try to be as precise as possible. When it is not possible to provide an exact list of such organizations to which we have actually disclosed your personal information, we shall provide a list of organizations to which we may have disclosed the information.
We may refuse your request for access to your personal information if, for example.
- the information is protected by solicitor-client privilege
- granting access would reveal confidential commercial information
- doing so would reasonably be expected to threaten the life or security of another individual
- the information was collected for purposes related to the detection and prevention of fraud
- the information was generated in the course of a formal dispute resolution process; or
- the information would likely reveal personal information about another individual
What if you have a question or concern about your privacy?